Saturday, November 29, 2008

All I Want For Christmas? Or "Need"?

Every year at Christmastime, I have looked forward to the family, the friends, and the food. But let's be honest, everyone knows that Christmas involves the presents. However, this year, I am convinced that the presents aren't as important. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, or perhaps I'm more conscious of the failing economy. When my mom asked me about my list, I really could not come up with anything. What is it that I want for Christmas? My response: nothing. Because that's exactly it. Christmas is not about wants. Christmas is about needs. What is it that I need for Christmas? I need my family, my friends, and of course, a good meal. I don't need a new iPod or a Burberry scarf. So this year, I'm challenging myself and my family: in these rough times, let's use the economy not as an excuse for less presents under the tree, but as an excuse to realize how wants overtake our lives. It's about time we examine our greedy nature and step back to reevaluate the difference between wants and needs.

No comments: